Learn How To Choose Drum Sticks
Learning how to choose drum sticks might seem overwhelming at first but don't worry. First off, drum sticks play an important role in your playing. They do a variety of things that you might have already figure out.
Tips On How To Choose Drum Sticks
To find out what suits you best ask yourself these questions:
1. What type of music do I play?Jazz-Try a Vic Firth 5A
2. Do I play mostly with Arm Power? Try the heavy metal brand Ahead 5B
3. Do I play mostly with technique( Using mostly wrist and fingers?)Try a Vic Firth 5A
4. Do I need a lot of power, strength and loudness behind my drumming? Try a Vic Firth 5B
Which Category Do You Fit Under?
-Play Heavy Metal, Rock, Punk, Goth ( Basically loud hard drumming)
-Play mostly with Arm Power
-Need a lot of Power behind drumming
I recommend trying out something with a BEEFIER shoulder such as Ahead 5B. This sticks is strong. Joey Jordison from Slipnot uses Ahead.
- Play more with technique
-More into music that isn't heavy metal, screamo, double bass, metal, death metal etc.
- Are a girl( need less heavy sticks)
- Have smaller hands
I Recommend trying out the popular size 5A drum sticks
IDEAS for getting your drum stick:
*Look up your favorite "Idol" drummer, What does he/she play with? Maybe you can copy him/her!
* Make sure you have a comfortable feel with your sticks.
* Pick up the different kinds of drum sticks at a music store.
* Touch, Hold and Feel and Notice the different brands and sizes.
* Test out the differences in the popular brands of drum sticks such as Vic Firth, Vater, Ahead, Pro mark, Zildjian
* Find which SOUND you like more, your choice of a NYLON or a WOOD tip. To me, nylon gives a More Clean, Clear Cymbal definition
The Right Sized Drum Stick Can...
* Help the longevity of your playing
* Give you less lower and upper arm pain
* Work with you to compliment the music instead of sounding too loud or too soft.
* Last longer if you match it to the style of music you play
* Help you find the balance between hit strokes and bounce strokes
So right away we see that drum sticks do play an important role in our drumming.
** Keep in mind that What Matters MOST when picking you're drum sticks, is that they feel Comfortable when you're using them!
Need More Help Finding Your Sticks?
Ask me, I'd love to help!
How To Play The Drums
Leave how to choose drum sticks and see Beginner Drum Sets